Safety Data Sheet (SDS) Resources
The OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) was revised in 2012 to adopt the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS). One of the major changes is the renaming/reformatting of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) to Safety Data Sheets (SDS). During the transition period while companies are replacing their MSDSs with SDSs, you will see both. Our website will reflect this by using SDS to refer to MSDS/SDS.
Click here to view and print out the OSHA Safety Data Sheet Quick Card and here for the OSHA HCS Pictograms and Hazards information sheet.
The OSHA Hazard Communication Standard requires that Duke University make (Material) Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) readily accessible to employees during their work shifts. To obtain an SDS for a chemical product use the links below.
Click here to view the Hazard Communication FAQ or our one-page HazCom & SDS Fact Sheet.
Main SDS Search Portal
SDS Resources for Duke Health Care Employees
- Healthcare SDS Search - You will have access to the Search and Help tabs. If you go to the Help tab and click Online Help there is a tutorial on how to use the database. 3E (24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year) 800-451-8346.
- Point of Care Testing SDSs
- USP and LexiComp for pharmaceutical SDS. Note: If you cannot find an SDS on either site, try either the CCOHS or Healthcare SDS Searches above.
- Search the Cardinal Healthcare SDS Site. Enter the product name or number into the appropriate field. For additional assistance, click on the Search Instructions link.
- Duke Production Pharmacy Compounds
If you need help finding an SDS...
If you are unable to find the SDS you need using the links above, try searching Google for "SDS" and the name of your product or submit your request to us using this form and we will forward the appropriate documents to you. In the event of an emergency, contact OESO at 919-684-2794 (M-F, 8am-5pm). After working hours, contact the OESO Afterhours Spill Responder through Duke University Police by dialing 911.