Recommended Seating From the Duke Furniture Standards Program
All chairs at this website meet the recommendations of the Duke Ergonomics Program. These recommendations ensure that the chair can be fitted to each individual user and that the user can easily adjust the chair to vary his or her posture throughout the day. An ergonomic evaluation is not needed when considering new chairs. Follow your department’s policy on the approval and purchase of chairs.
Required Chair Features
- Adjustable seat height (pneumatic)
- Independent, height-adjustable backrest
- Adjustable seat depth
- High density foam used in seat cushion, with cloth fabric (except in clean room settings)
- Armrests not required, if present they should adjust in both height and width
- Minimum contouring of seat
- Backrests at least 12x12 inches, with pronounced lumbar support
- Angle between backrest and seat should have a range of 90-110 degrees
- Seat 18-20 inches wide
- Seat rocking mechanism and/or backward tilt. Forward tilt option should be avoided
- Seat angle should have a range of 0-10 degrees
- Swivel capability
- 5-star base with appropriate casters for either carpet or linoleum
- User should be able to make adjustments while seated in the chair
Chair Selection Process:
- Determine which chair vendor your department orders from.
- Know your budget.
- Go to CBI, Price Modern, or Alfred Williams vendor to schedule an appointment to go to the showroom and try out sample chairs from our recommended list in the table below. *Bring the list of recommended chairs and adjust each chair so you are sitting with your feet flat on the ground, hips and knees at the same height, with the lumbar support at your low back curve. Ask the rep for assistance with identifying the chair features as well as various options available for the chair.
- Choose 2-3 of the most comfortable chairs, and ask to coordinate sample deliveries for trial use.
- Once you have selected a chair, after the trial period, ask the vendor for a price quote.
- Generate a purchase request per your department’s protocol.
- For department-wide purchases, purchase 2-3 different style chairs to accommodate users of varying sizes and preferences. These chairs can be upholstered to coordinate in fabric and color.